Friday, January 1, 2010

The First Day of Our New Year

A New Year, 2010, and I woke up at two a.m. and again at four a.m., so what happened to my resolution to sleep in? It probably went out the window and joined the blustery storm we had along with my resolution to eat lighter and will break today as I have already heard the menu daughter Pat has planned for us . Prime rib, ham, scalloped potatoes, a huge salad, black eyed peas and a luscious ginger crust pumpkin pie. Resolutions? What resolutions, they will be gone before the first day is over.


I don't know about you, but I have problems keeping tract of the days around holiday time, especially when they come in on a mid-week day and throw off my sense of time. That's not all bad but it leaves me confused wondering just what day is it . . . well, today is Friday, so I'm off to a good start with a weekend to enjoy and some good company along with it.


We had a celebration last night, a table cloth, candles left forgotten on the sideboard, bowls of snacks, a lovely glass of red wine ,which gave us heartburn later . . . so much for expensive wine . . . where's the good Merlot at half the cost? The main entree was beans and hot dogs with very zesty pickles and no one complained. Daughter Pat won another game of scrabble; um. . . I'm slipping, I used to beat her all the time, guess I'll have to sharpen my nails to scrape the right tiles. John put on the new tape Pat bought him for Christmas , the latest Dan Brown book which we started to listen to in the car and it is so good we finished it off in the house. By eight-thirty Pat was home in bed asleep. John and I lasted through a couple of TV shows, although I'm sure I slept through some as the characters changed. I lasted until eleven-forty three and remember I shut my light out with a Happy New Year to All. The last I saw of John he was heading for his computer. I did see the news and I did see the new ball drop in New York and watched the crowds of people enjoying the sights and sounds of an old year passing and a new one starting. Let's resolve to pay attention to what is going on around us. I'm breaking another resolution and making a statement about politics...which I was never going to do again . . . right ! 2010 is a voting year....remember what has transpired this past year! Be strong, be independent and vote for Maxine who start the year off with "You're never too old to really hurt yourself trying something new", and " I have the promise of a New Year! This year, for example, I promise to be even crabbier than usual." Aha! I'll drink to that! MAKE THIS YEAR THE BEST ONE EVER!!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment