Sunday, January 10, 2010

Tremors


I was sitting in my wing back chair enjoying a program called 'Bones' when I felt the jarring pull of an earthquake. I asked son John if he felt the earthquake and he said no, but daughter Pat came bursting in the door telling us we should be on our way up the hill because we just had a 6.5 earthquake out at sea, actually south of us near a town called Ferndale, and a tsunami wave might be a possibility. We talked her out of going up hill and figured the alarms would go off telling us we had ten minutes to get up hill. As it was, the newspapers had alerts on the computers immediately telling us no tsunami was expected. How they can tell is beyond me especially when the quake is happening right in the ocean waters. I am a firm believer that you cannot out run nature, or any disaster that is pending, think of those long lines of cars bumper to bumper with no where to go when you could be sitting in 'your' chair with a hot cup of tea and a crumpet or two waiting for whatever is in store for you. The young ones can run, I just don't have that kind of energy and the legs just would not go into a running mode. I am lucky they are still in a walking mode and believe me it is a very slow pace. All in all it turned out to be a 'corker' and luckily there were very few injuries. From the write up on the web, the mall in Eureka had a lot of glass breakage and one antique store lost a lot of plates and lamps. They are having a sale today on broken glass for people who do mosaics. Always a way to make a buck!
I'm glad to hear that it was a earthquake that I felt. I often do in that chair so it was not a new feeling, but a familiar one. We have them quite frequently but not of that size. Having lived in Nevada where we experienced many an earthquake, mostly small in size, introduced me to the feeling of the tremor. I've never been in a big one, nor do I have a desire to be in one, but living on the West coast where earthquakes predominate you know enough to follow the rules and hope for the best. Like all of natures tantrums we learn to live with them and we have learned how to take care of ourselves . . . I think we are to have a three day supply of water and food in our survival kits, although I got very tired of finding the survival kit worn out before its time.
Enjoy TODAY, one never knows what is in store for us. Mother Nature is full of surprises. Dot your 'i' and cross you 't' and don't forget say the words , 'I love you', it could cause a little thump and bump in your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment