Monday, October 12, 2009

Roses




My neighbor, Maxine, no not the cartoon Maxine but a lovely lady with the same attitude. grows these beautiful roses in her garden and their smell permeates the room with the sense of peace. I know roses have names but I do not know them. These are the size of a saucer with deep green leaves and horrendous thorns, maybe that is what makes them so beautiful . . . the colors are a symphony all their own. The yellow is brilliant with a sheen of satin; the lavender is soft, the pinks seem to take on a glow, shades of embers in a fireplace, while the red ones command attention with a velvet touch and the shout of a command. How lucky I am to have such beauty around me and how sad when they lose their bloom and the petals fall leaving a tiny green bud of what used to be. It just goes to show that we have to enjoy the beauty of nature as it comes, one rose at a time as they bloom and grow and slowly fade as they cast a magic spell and stay in your heart and mind.
I hope you have roses in your life today. If you do not, then stop off and buy a small bouquet to place on your table and enjoy. Maybe you can think of someone to share a bouquet with and make them smile. Today I am off to light a candle for all of you and especially Maxine who is fading like her roses, soft and sweet, leaving me a memory whenever I see a rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment