Saturday, November 28, 2009

A Hunting We Will Go!


How would you like to run into this big guy? He is over eight feet tall and a giant in his world. I cannot imagine looking into his eyes to see what is reflected there. I have no idea who took the picture but Elliot Lake was mentioned and I have no idea where that is. All I know is that it is hunting season and there are a lot of men out walking with a rifle in their hands, but it seems to me they should have a cannon or two at their disposal. Which reminds me, my daughter Pat and granddaughter Erin were out picking mushrooms yesterday. I gather they were up in the mountain area and had a lot of hard climbing to do. They didn't get much, or I didn't see any so the picking must have been slim. They had a good day out in the sunshine and today are bone weary from the climbing up and down the mountain side. I don't think it will be a favorite after Thanksgiving sport for either of them. My 'picking' days are over as the spirit is willing but the body has lost its 'get up and go'. It is hard not being able to participate in the fun trips in life but then how truly worthwhile it is to sit back and listen to the tales. It is time to celebrate the younger generation and enjoy the fruits of their labor . . . like the sweet tasty fresh crab that Jimmy brought over to help us celebrate Thanksgiving. Jimmy is a friend of Erin and not only a good crabber but a talented photographer. He brought some pictures over that I'd like to copy so you could see the beauty of the ocean when the sun is setting and our world changes into amazing colors before the darkness sets in. There are some things that no one can take away from us. All we have to do is stop long enough to enjoy the beauty which surrounds us.
Today I had an amazing video attachment sent to me in an e-mail. I am thankful every day for this computer that son John gave me for Christmas a few years ago. It is my contact with a lot of good friends and the attachments they send keep my mind and my heart aglow. The video today was called "The Color World" in which scene after scene of photographs brought to life the vast and complex scenery from Paris to the 'dead man's curve' of a mountainside, views of beautiful animals and flowers, footprints in the snow as the sun is setting and flowers of unimaginable beauty. Daughter Pat brought me in a lovely poinsettia plant, her annual gift the day after Thanksgiving, which brightens up the room and prepares me for the coming Christmas holiday. How blessed I am. In the video there was a plant similar to the one I received this morning and it has tiny bracket like blossoms which I have yet to discover on my new plant. I am betting when I go and look I will see tiny miracle and I will smile as I watch it change each day to a beautiful brilliant red flower with its green leaves.
I hope you will buy a poinsettia plant for your home. There is nothing like fresh flowers to liven up a room and remind you that there is beauty to behold in every bud. For some folks holiday time is not a happy time, too many memories of what used to be and for whatever reasons they find themselves alone and sad. Keep an eye open, you may have a neighbor or a friend that could use a small poinsettia plant to brighten up their space. Don't forget to light a candle or two. Know you will be in my thoughts and prayers this coming Christmas season.

No comments:

Post a Comment