Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thursday is a Good Day




Maxine is off with her barbs about Thanksgiving with that special get out and shop Friday that follows. We really have bought the farm over the years. Wouldn't you think we would wise up and catch on that Wall Street is rolling in dough while we shoppers are over the top in debt because we buy, buy, buy. Maxine's sarcasm usually tickles me, but sometimes her creator hits the nail on the head and our cartoonist let us know what is really going on. I'm waiting for some one bright cartoonist to come up with some 'guilt' funnies to put our lives in perspective. I think we should put Christ back in Christmas and we have our chance now that we are in a recession which is much like the depression I grew up in. Not one of us had a problem surviving a 'poor' Christmas because we were too busy attending our church functions and making our gifts for those we loved. I don't know when I fell into the trappings of commercial Christmas, but I did. My Christmas tree looked like Macy's bargain basement as I bought a coloring book, crayons, a reader, socks, pj's, favorite jam and candy and one gift that the little ones really talked about that I could afford. They thought they were rich and never complained. I thought we were rich and never went into debt. As an Octogenarian, in which I seem to take such pride, I have it easy as I write a small check and let each one pick out their own gift under 'my dollar' rule. You can't give what you do not have. Aah a lesson in economics.
This year is a tough one as we listen to the grave comments about our economy and how much our world is changing. The prices seem to be going up. I was talking to my daughter recently about materials in clothing as it seems when the economy is bad the material in clothing is layered on our bodies and when it is good we run around in bikinis. I'm not sure why that is but it has been a set pattern in my life time. So you get more for your money when your broke? Um . . . now isn't that interesting. If we could get the grocery chains to go that route we'd have it made. No rhyme, no reason, just another day to try and get by.
I hope you use common sense this year and stave off the buying spree that puts you into the poor house. I hope you will put Christ back in Christmas and think of activities and become creative in having the time of your lives enjoying the love you feel for each other. An open door, a coffee pot, or a tea pot, a bowl of cheer, some great homemade cookies and cakes . . . what more could one want with all those hugs that go around. For the umpteenth time, I do not need anything for Christmas . . . on second thought . . . some great hugs would do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment