Thursday, November 12, 2009

Nevada Trip Part Two






















The pictures were taken as we rode along the highway from Oregon to Nevada. Daughter Pat and I started out bright and early when the fog lay in our valley. The day began to brighten as we rode along, and I snapped pictures out of the car window due to the heavy fast traffic on the highway seeing there was no place to pull over to take a snap or two of the beautiful fall colors. I saw the familiar Nevada aspens which have bright yellow leaves that shimmer in the sunlight. The valleys were covered with russet colored leaves on small trees, and once in awhile a bright red or a soft orange shade of leaves would peek out. The vistas and views were spectacular, maybe not as brilliant as the trees back East, but surely a close second. We passed through an area that had suffered a forest fire, blackened and desolate. It is so sad to see. It will come back as it always does but it will take a long time.
Arriving in Nevada the lenticular clouds soar and glide across the sky. They are a formation that is prevalent to Nevada and one day imparticular, there was a sky of awesome sights as the winds glided them along. I did not have my camera with me so missed some great shots, but on the way home nature provided me with a few of those lovely clouds, much like UFO's floating above us and I had a chance to take a couple of shots. It is fun to watch them line up and float about looking like we are about to be invaded from outer space.
Nevada has not lost any of its charms for me. It was wonderful to be back in my old stomping grounds. I wished I had the time to visit friends but it was not to be as I was on a mission of great importance to me and I felt I should remain where I was needed. Maybe in a future date I'll be able to set up a time and have a get-together.
It has to be a good four to five hundred miles of road between Brookings and Gardnerville, Nevada. The road traffic is fast moving and never ending, so much different that our sheltered highways on the coast. We have lots of traffic, which we consider busy ---- and awful, but after a road trip we give a sigh of relief as we follow our traffic into town and breath the salt air from the ocean.
I was appalled at the food prices in the stores of Nevada . . . talk about really taking their customers for a long ride with escalated pricing. I was shocked and owe our store here a bit of an apology for my thoughts on their pricing. Our worlds are topsy-turvy and I'm not sure how families get by. The stores are showing high prices for everything and it doesn't make sense to me when people are out of work, the economy is bad and the holidays fearsome for some folks.
So keep that in mind when you are out and about and see a kettle or two that needs a bit of your change. Dig in and put a dollar in the pot and help some of those in need. We probably do not have a lot but we have more than enough to share. As Andy Rooney would say 'those are my thoughts' . . . go outside and breathe the fresh air and enjoy the weather whatever it is. Make your today a good one. Nevada Part Three with more pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment