Friday, November 20, 2009

Stormy Weather

This picture was featured on the front page of our local newspaper showing the Coast Guard men practicing rescue missions in our stormy seas. The waves have been high this week, some up to six foot and better, strong and powerful as they stir up the sands below. I woke up at three a.m. hearing the sound of rain. I wish I had the words to describe the 'sound' of rain. We can hear it, see it, feel it, but when it comes to describing it, I'm unable to recognize any words that will give this watery deluge a sound. We have teeming rain, cat and dog rain, pouring rain, splattered rain on the windshield of our car, soft rain, summer rain and like this morning heavy rain which is making a noise I cannot describe. I get close, like pebbles in a glass, or tapping on a drum, better still is the tinkling sound as the outside vent makes musical noises. Whatever we see and feel, rain is so necessary and so wonderful as it plays with us and moistens our skin, curls our hair or makes it straight and droopy depending on how long you walk in it. It makes puddles and that brings back a memory or two of walking to school . . . yes, we really did, and played in and out of the puddles getting our shoes and socks wet . . . soaked to the bone is what we heard as we had to take our shoes and socks off and dry them so we wouldn't 'catch our death' as the older folks would say.

Our storm is suppose to last for a day or two so I have a new Clive Cussler to read. I'm thinking of putting up a jig saw puzzle but then I might need the table over the holidays to share a tid-bit or two. I'm sure I'll have a short walk in and out of the rain today as daughter Pat and I head for the store. We plan pizza and a movie, maybe I can talk her into one game of scrabble, but you can be sure we will enjoy our rainy day. I'm thinking a fire in her fireplace would be nice. I might even suggest it and curl up on her couch.

I hope you have a rainy day today and savor all of the wonders it holds. Don't be afraid to walk in it, or better still dance in it with or without an umbrella, the choice is yours. I'll be thinking about you and sending a hug along.

No comments:

Post a Comment