Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The rest of the birthday bash.




Patricia and Erin sitting quietly, then clowning around. Having Pat sit still to take her picture is nothing short of a miracle. I think the ladies had a thought in mind about putting the camera away when they showed me their backsides. Um . . . oh for a b-b gun!






One of our favorite restaurants is The Nautilus which is a long low gray building sitting at the ocean's edge. We usually try for a five p.m. date so we can see the beautiful sunsets. Last evening was no exception as the sun was sinking and I caught this extraordinary view. I see the "hand of God" in the clouds . . . do you? The colors were amazing and the ocean waves were coming in five and six at a time. We didn't spot a whale though and I was hoping. It would have been nice if one of them had chosen a moment to surface and wave its tail.
Birthdays are always fun and we enjoyed the wonderful scallops served on a bed of angel hair pasta with some asparagus and slivers of yellow squash. I would love to know the secret sauce they make up for this dish as it has a flavor that makes your taste buds come alive. We had fun trying to find a wine to suit us. I like dry, very dry while the ladies prefer a fruitier wine and not so dry. I had a Chardonnay that was not as dry as I like. The ladies tried a different red. I think we would have all been better off to stay with our usual glass of water as it would have been a lot cheaper. We all had a spoon to dip into the birthday desert, creme brulet, (brulee , aah, you know what I mean ... the custard desert.) So, now on to Thanksgiving and a little cooking on our part. We have run the gambit from going out to a restaurant, but didn't want to fight the crowds; to ordering a precooked dinner which did not have any of our favorite dishes on their menu, to square one and cooking ourselves. The menu has been decided; the turkey breast is defrosting, I have the potatoes and apples to peel and Freddy's will have the Hubbard squash in today. I hope they have a good size piece. Cooked up with a little butter, salt, pepper and a dash of garlic, oh my, my taste buds are already sprucing up for our feast.

I'm looking forward to a few extra hugs today. Make your today a good one. Do something special for yourself. If you find your way to a restaurant that specializes in sea food, don't be afraid to try the scallops. Wonder who is having the next birthday? um . . . I'll be ready to celebrate, just give me a call. I might even spring for the wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment