Thursday, December 17, 2009

Big Boy Toys











Now this I would love to see. Can you imagine two brothers, Frederick and Gerrit Braun, twins ,building the world's biggest train set, a 'miniature wunderland' which they began in 2000. So far they have covered six countries and intend to add three more. They hope to finish in 2014 with the continued help of those people who are buying tickets to visit the project and enjoy the views.
There is 12,380 square feet and six miles of track , when completed it will be 18,376 square feet and 12 miles of track. The longest train is 46 ft. long and there are 700 trains so far, 10,000 carriages and wagons. It is controlled in the high tech center keeping up with 900 signals, 2,800 buildings, 250,000 lights. Truly an amazing undertaking and well worth the ticket to go and see it, only they didn't say where it is located within the e-mail pictures and story. I would assume Germany or Austria. Maybe I'll see a write up again in the future and can catch us up on a few more details. The ending caption was, "boys and their toys." I imagine there are a lot of 'boys' young and old who would love to be a part of this project. I know there are several 'train men' in Nevada who would love to hop a plane and be a part of this project. I would love to see it, wouldn't you? I can hear your resounding 'yes' from here.
So today, you can't hop a plane but you can enjoy the pictures and admire the men who shared their imagination and talent. Maybe you are buying a miniature train set for a 'boy' in your life. Son John started one but does not have the time right now to work on it. His intentions were good but work gets in the way. I hope you are all staying healthy and busy getting ready for Christmas day, only a week away. I have mince meat cookies to bake today, stop by if you are in the neighborhood and I'll put the coffee on.





No comments:

Post a Comment