Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Inching Along



It is coming, the New Year, 2010, I wonder what is in store for us. I keep talking about how fast time goes by, but then I think each of you feel the same way as you lead your busy lives, that is unless you are the parents of a teen age child or two and your survival rate goes down a notch. We do survive our growing children and they survive us, and that is the wonder of it all.
I had unexpected company yesterday when my friend Angie, who was visiting her sister Pat in Medford, decided to come and visit me and the ocean. They wanted some fish and chips and a chance to watch the whales. They saw a few spouts but the whales were busy passing by and didn't stop to play in the beach area so no 'bodies' were seen. We all hope to see a whale breech but they save all those antics until they get to the Arctic. Angie and I go back about twenty-five years when we worked in the administrative section of the U.S. Geological Survey office. It was when computers were being introduced and some of us learned so much quicker than others. I was not one of the quick ones. I can still hear Angie calling across the room . . . "Jean, do not touch the keyboard . . . I'll be right there!" I thought if I pushed a key everything would be as it should, but data had a way of disappearing whenever my fingers were ready to strike and words would come up on the screen saying, "one more stroke and your data is lost" . . . It was such a struggle to try and learn an entire new style of communication when I had already survived the inroads to the electric typewriter and the old shaved cylinders. I remember when I went back to work after being off for fifteen years while raising my little ones. I was hired and my first day I was listening to dictation on a new tiny machine ----using a new style ear device and the word that came through was 'incomprehensibility' . . . I had not heard a word that long for years and my mind stretched leaving the baby talk behind as I typed that word and many more and even spelled correctly. To this day I am a typist and I can spell most words but computer literacy is not my forte and I am thankful for the spell checker anyway. I add some new knowledge now and then but when I see what can be done, I know I am number one on a computer nerd list.
Jason is a computer whiz and had his new lap top ,which he just got at Christmas, and he fired it up and talked with his friends and was completely at ease as his fingers found their way over that little flat area below the keyboard, you know the space I'm talking about, the one that refuses to cooperate when I try to get the little arrow to go where it is supposed to go. I have to have a mouse or I am spewing a few choice words that start with damn and go on from there. I guess it takes practice and patience which I run out of when it comes to lap tops. We ladies kept up a running conversation and I don't think he knew we were there. Who knew a lap top could tame a teen ----where were they when mine were growing up? I've known Jason since he was a tiny infant and he is now almost six foot tall, a handsome young man, bright and sweet with a fine sense of humor, and he likes Gramma Jean, so I know how lucky I am. I couldn't stop looking at the pixie face and tell him how handsome he is. Grins do tell a story!
I met Angie's sister Pat who lives over in the Medford area. She has ten acres and horses and dogs and loves her life. She raised one colt and 'broke' it and even rode it, although she got tossed off and landed on the ground. She said, "and the ground is very hard." I bet she had a bruise or two especially as it happened a couple of times. She was such fun to be with and the threesome made my day a good one. They promised to come back and I hope not too much times passes before they can.
We had a computer visit with Angie's husband, Gary, who couldn't make it this trip. I hadn't seen Gary in a couple of years and he has added a little weight since then. He calls me "Gramma Jean" and even showed off his big belly and had us all laughing out loud as he is still a character and a half with a sense of humor that just never quits. Gary has spent a life time with pain and has to be admired for his tenacity to live with it and go on with his life. Good people, good friends and I am lucky to have them in my life.
So today, think of a friend or two you have not seen in some time and contact them and enjoy a few hours of camaraderie and let them know how important they are in your life. You are all important to me and I wish it were possible to see you and spend some time together. I'd offer to cook up a feast but right now I'm all 'cooked' out after our big turkey dinner and all those left overs. I thank God daughter Pat is home and volunteered to cook up a prime rib for our New Year dinner. I think I heard her mention some new recipe for black eyed peas . . . um . . . do I even like black eyed peas? . . . guess I'm about to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment