Monday, December 7, 2009

The Glass Tree and New Friends







Venice's Murano Island tallest glass tree in the world, was sculpted by master glass blower Simone Cendese. You can imagine the beauty of it. What a rainbow it must make when the lights are aglow. Many years ago, I was fortunate to visit the Bucharest glass shop in Bucharest, France where I saw some of the most beautiful glass pieces imaginable. I was searching for a glass bauble to take home for my daughter, Christine, who was a collector of dragons. I spotted a tiny dragon on a glass tray among several other tiny animals and brought the dragon over to the counter. I could not speak French and the salesman, dressed in very nice attire, didn't speak English. I held out the dragon and he took it and walked into the back room to wrap it. I stood there wondering if I had enough money to pay for it. You know Bucharest glass does not come cheap. I held some money in my hand and he took the French paper bills and left me the change. I think I figured it out later that the dragon cost me about thirty American dollars; a bargain at half the price and my daughter became the proud owner of a tiny dragon that you could use a magnifying glass to appreciate. But, I console myself for having found a piece of Bucharest glass I could afford.
Disney brought such fun into our lives. A clever and talented genius who brought together a stable of artisans to sketch and bring to life the wondrous stories of old. I think we all loved "Bambi" as much as our children did. I received an e-mail yesterday with the photograph of a real live friendship of a deer and a rabbit, and the copy of the Disney version. I am sure Walt Disney was bestowed an "Oscar" or two in his time, an honors he richly deserved. What comes to mind is the easy manner two young animals make friends. There were other photographs showing them cuddled together just enjoying each other. Friendship develops early and stays late . . . how lucky I am to have friends who take time to share the wonderful photographs and jokes over the computer. My day becomes bright and cheery and I find myself laughing out loud, feeling good and counting by blessings as I forward them on to friends who haven't had a chance to see them.
Speaking of friends, I was invited to have dinner with my neighbor Maxine and her son Michael last evening but I had a message on my recorder cancelling the dinner date as she had a very bad day yesterday. I decided to fix a desert tray of special candies and had it ready, but seeing I wasn't going to dinner, I thought I'd take it over for them to enjoy anyway. How glad I am that I did because Maxine was sitting up for the first time yesterday and I got a hug and her son handed her one of the choice pieces of candy, an Oregon fruit candy which is very delicious. She put the piece of candy in her mouth and the joy spread to her eyes and she rolled them in thanks and put out her hand for a piece of chocolate . . . not the dark stuff, the old light chocolate that is creamy and melts on your tongue. How easy it is to bring a smile to someone. So today, it is your turn, find a friend who is in need and bring him or her a little tray of some goodies that will brighten their day and have them rolling their eyes as the taste buds come alive and gives them a tiny bit of pleasure. She told me she thought she was going to die yesterday. I told her she couldn't die on Sunday and had to choose another day. She told me in no uncertain terms that she could die any day she wanted to but I reminded her she had not beat me in a scrabble game yet and she had to fulfill that wish before she could choose her day. So today we are going to attempt a game. I hope she wins and it makes her feel so good she will forget to choose a day to leave us. How much I have learned from this lovely lady about going out in style. Of course, she knows, as I do, that she doesn't command her time here on earth, but I am hoping she can play one more game of scabble which she dearly loves, and she might just win. Maxine my friend and Maxine the cartoon lady could be twins . . . what a sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment