Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Morning




My tiny tree is lit and I am waiting for my son, John, to awaken so we can open our presents. We have been having special treats all week so today when I need to serve some fresh pineapple and other goodies, they are long gone, um. . . must have been a mouse in the house.
Last evening we celebrated Christmas eve by going for a ride around town. I thought we would see a lot of decorated homes but there were more neighborhoods dark than I've ever seen before. We even rode down to the Sporthaven marina and only two boats had lights on them, then we spotted two more as we drove out of the park. There was a tiny tree decorated and lit which brightened the pier. The wind was blowing cold so our walk on the boardwalk was short and sweet. It was very quiet around town, but the Azalea Park was holding court to a lot of our town folks. There was not one car in Freddy's parking lot which in itself was nothing short of a miracle. I am still wondering why Freddy's doesn't have at least one Christmas light, not a colored bulb to be had. They are THE store in town and do a tremendous business as we really are the captive audience . . . theirs to do but I still wonder.
The homes we did see that were all a glitter were absolutely beautiful. There seemed to be a lot more purple in the lights this year, a nice edition I would say. Down at the harbor there was a huge Santa in his sleigh riding with whales, not a reindeer in sight. The light house was aglow and it looked lovely so the Christmas spirit did shine through in many places. I took one picture, yes, I did have my camera with me, but the message came on the screen that my batteries had gone. Ah, good intentions . . . I am full of them.
I thought our city fathers should have added a bulb or two to those lovely bears we've been hosting in town. Our local newspaper building was all lit up as there was a Christmas tree in some of the shop windows so the Christmas spirit did prevail. It made me think of the Thanksgiving I spent with my son John in South Dakota and I saw my first Christmas parade. The community really was filled with Christmas spirit as every business and organization participated. The trucks of the companies were decorated with Christmas lights, as were the fire trucks and even a police car or two. The boy and girl scouts were out as well as the school band and the streets were lined with smiling faces. It was a wondrous sight and I would love to see a Christmas light parade in every town .
Our friend Jo is settling in her new home and it sounds like she has conquered a lot of the boxes, but twenty inches of snow, no plows out, a computer that crashed and family and friends far away, she is managing to keep her morale up, meeting new neighbors, getting her ducks in a row and smiling while she does it....now, that is Christmas spirit. Way to go Jo . . . we miss you here this year. Another friend, Maggie, stopped by on her way out of town yesterday to drop off some packages for me and John. She had her dogs in the car and was off to Medford to join her family. She gives good hugs and that was the best present of all.
So, I am off to the kitchen to stuff our turkey and get it going while hoping the noise will awaken John and I can open my presents. I know Andrea, you think I can't wait to open my packages and do as they arrive,but honestly, I can be patient although I almost poked a hole in your package because I know there is something very tasty in there. It's not open, it's not...not yet!
On this quiet Christmas morning I am visualizing all of you who have children and I envy you the noise and excitement and the laughter and smiles. I have memories of such Christmas mornings and they have all passed by much too quickly. Make today a memory builder, a toast to each of you for a happy today and hopefully a bright and healthy New Year. I just had my first telephone call and spoke with Pat and Erin and it was my first and best present of the day . . . what a way to start my day! So get on the phone and say good morning to someone you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment