Sunday, December 27, 2009

Whatchadoing?







A few days left of the old year and we are supposed to have whales going by within the next few days. I have no idea why this one week is a whale week but you know I will be out there looking at the ocean and hoping it stays calm so we can get a look at one of those gray whales. There was a write up in our local paper saying that the whale watcher teams are out there ready to point out a whale or two. Usually we see the spout and if we are lucky the blackish body of the whale, yet I have not seen one breech high and dry, maybe today is the day. I'll take my camera with me just in case.
Yesterday I spent a lot of my time going through all of the Christmas decorations I have accumulated over the years. I forgot I did that last year and many went to the yard sale box as I had culled the decorations down to three boxes . . . no more . . . there is one box of old decorations all sealed and put away with the children's names on them . I can hear them now expounding noisy remarks and a few sighs thinking they already have enough 'stuff'. I find I have the spirit but not the energy to decorate the whole house. I remember I used to, ah those words again, even put Christmas towels in the bathroom and kitchen. Candles too. I have simplified my Christmas decorating and find I only use a tiny tree with changing lights that sparkle, my smokers, although I didn't put the cone in to see the rising smoke from the wood cutters pipe, or Santa's round mouth, or the town crier's lamp. They looked pretty special this year. The tree has its own box, the creche is boxed too so there is no room in the big plastic bin of which there are two now, the sealed on and one with cards, paper, and a few bows. I'll have to find some bows on sale when I go to the store and find them at half price, although I watched a special on television showing how to wrap packages in square scarves which made beautiful and useful coverings, no waste, no paper and cardboard to send to the trash pile. I may go on a scarf expedition this year when I go 'junking'. I may do away with wrapping paper, in fact I may do away with decorating . . . bah humbug, how is that for Christmas spirit? I received a Maxine calendar from my granddaughter and I am betting she has something to say about decorating I can hardly wait to read her quips which I'll be glad to share as we spend our new year together.
Erin is a photographer with an eye that captures the scene she is looking at, or the faces, and she has chosen several from her trip to Cuba and has framed them. She is on Facebook so if you want to see what she has accomplished, go in and take a peek. The one she gifted me is of dolls in colorful costumes probably for sale in a stall in one of the small village markets. I love it. I hope she has done the one of a carved door with a bird cage hanging nearby. It was striking and a picture I thought I'd like to have here in my home gallery. I'll have to ask so I can be one of her first buyers. If you love original art you may want one too, just tell her Gram sent you and she will give you a discount . . . (smile . . . I'm just using my bragging rights.)
Erin also sent me the movie "Odd Fellows", it used to be a favorite and I will enjoy it all over again. John and I watched "The Old Curiosity Shop", a Charles Dickens story and it was well done. I have two more as it was sold as a set. I had bought it for a couple I exchange gifts with but daughter Pat reminded me I bought the same set a year ago for them . . . I quickly bought something different for them and kept the films which I had not seen myself. Neither one of us really remembered so someday I will have to ask my friends if I did or did not give them a set of movies and if I didn't, maybe I can give them the 'used' set next year. I seem determined they should see them . . . heaven only knows why.
So today, cull down your decorations, wrap them lovingly so you can enjoy the memories they bring to your heart and soul. Add some one new bauble each year like my angel with the beautiful deep red dress holding a candle that lights up the true spirit of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment