Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve
























I was sent a hug this morning with the picture of the two puppies attached, so I am sending it on to you this Christmas eve. Our political cartoonist are at their best, and our men and women overseas are making the best of being far away from those they love . . . not easy at all. My heart goes out to them and my thanks.



To me, the fish represents Christ and Christmas and was presented to all by the Master of Origami, Won Park, otherwise known as the money folder. He uses the dollar bill mostly but has used other denominations as well. He lives in a dump truck, but what a dump truck. It is one he has had made into his own apartment and it is beautiful. We would all like to have one in our garage. There were so many examples of his art, and it is an art. I couldn't fold a dollar bill into anything. My friend, Alanda, can make a cowboy boot out of one and showed us how to do the folds, but do I remember how, nope . . . a lost art to me whose claim to fame is folding laundry. There was a very clever one that was going around right after 911 when someone folded a twenty dollar bill and it showed the history of the attack. It was amazing to see and very strange to actually see the event from our own currency. Life takes on an eerie stance when these things happen.



John and I are having a great time this week and I have been making all kinds of good eating for the two of us. We had a lovely Cobb salad for lunch yesterday and hot apple turnovers from the oven. We both love mince pie so I made a small one which we had after our dinner of lamb chops and fresh broccoli. We've been able to eat in style and not too much of any one delight. My neighbor came in with a plate of brownies and chocolate chip cookies along with my annual fruit cake soaked in brandy. She makes the best fruit cake and I get to have it all to myself because I am the only one who loves fruit cake. It will last for months as I chip away a little at a time. La Verne ran out of brandy so I donated some, after all what is a fruit cake without brandy?


Pat and Erin are having a great time in Oakland. They have been out and about, shopping in the big malls which Pat is finding very expensive in comparison to our stores here. The 'big' stores carry the 'big' styles by 'big' folks so the price gets bigger all the time. They have found some new eateries for Pat to try new and different dishes and have taken in a movie and a museum. I am getting daily e-mails and although they are having a ball, I am hearing they wish they were here . . . me too. Son, Michael is out of the sling and very happy about that. He is having his first therapy to get the arm moving again and it is painful. He is happy that he is going to have the use of his arm back. Like most mothers I am hoping he learned a lesson and wont move a forty- foot ladder by himself in the future . . . but . . . knowing Mike . . . um . . . I'll say no more. As for daughter Christine she has plans to join some friends for Christmas as the weather if 'frightful' as the Christmas song goes and she is not for driving anywhere in that. She is thinking of a beach with sunshine and I'd treat her to a ticket . . . if I had a huge bankroll, but all I can offer is teeming rain and something hot out of the oven, although yesterday we had a sunshine day and about fifty degrees, so there is no reason to complain. Complain??? Me???? Never ! ! !All I can say is that it is 'okay' BUT . . . my most favorite expression. What is that old adage? . . . "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

Make your Christmas eve the best one yet. Invite someone in and share a pork pie, an old French tradition, and if you don't have the recipe I do. Share love and laughter and a gift or two to add a bit of spice to life. Keep in mind how special you are and know how much I love you.



No comments:

Post a Comment